Monday, November 24, 2008

The Good, Bad and the Ugly of Thanksgiving

Out of all the holidays, Thanksgiving ranks right up there with Arbor Day in terms of excitement and anticipation. It brings with it the dark cloud of holiday shopping, an extraordinary amount of extra calories (which continues on until the first week of January) and an enormous meal that I am completely unqualified to prepare. One Thanksgiving, my dear friend Trish and I never took out the bag of unrecognizable organs from inside the bird...oooops. The culinary arts are not my talent, I leave that up to my husband the chef. There are some positive things to say about the day...

I love the fact that it's meant to be a day of reflection and remembrance and holding closer those people, places and things that we love. I remember as a child and teenager the pressure of stating to all those seated at the dinner table what I was thankful for that year. It was gut wrenching and I remember thinking how ridiculous it all was. As a grownup, I still think it's a little silly but the sentiment is still sweet.

Remember to be thankful for what you have or who you have, especially in these stressful times.

I'm going to enjoy a laid back couple of days with my sister and her family, we're really looking forward to it. For the record, she's not that great of a cook either (great baker, though). We'll have to rely on my husband Paul for guidance. Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment