Monday, December 12, 2011

Inanimate Object Love~Connection

I think we forget sometimes how big of an impact visual merchandising and design in our favorite stores has on us. Not only on the chemistry of "BUY" but how we connect to it emotionally and how we can visualize it in our home. Not only the stores, which I much prefer, but online or catalogs. Personally, I need to touch it, see it in 3D, smell it, sit on it, play with it or accomplish whatever else I need to do in order to make that connection. I'm a firm believer in the most basic of design rules, "If you don't LOVE it, don't buy it". Having that intimate connection with an inanimate object is what pushes us to purchase and in turn, cherish our objects.


Who of you would be comfortable purchasing this absolutely fabulous loveseat without sitting in it? Running your hands over the upholstery? Giving a little bounce to test the springs? Walking the full diameter of it to see it from every possible angle? If you said "ME!", then I applaud your bravery. I know people do it everyday, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Okay, I'm quickly digressing. I'd like to hear from you, what's your favorite store in terms of visual appeal? Do you buy from them on a consistent basis or is it more of an inspiration for your own home? Leave me a comment, I'm really curious to hear everyone's answers on this.

Some of my personal favorites are DWR, C&B and Anthropologie. All these stores make me want to buy and they all inspire me to be more creative when I get home.

Almost forgot! Scroll down to the White Christmas post below and check out the last image. It's Bergdorf Goodman's Christmas window. Now that's pure inspiration.



No comments:

Post a Comment