Tuesday, October 25, 2011

All Hallows Eve

I love-love-love Halloween! But I'm very particular about my decor. Nothing with blood, nothing that screams, nothing cutesy and nothing gory. I need the Victorian era decorations. They were so caught up in it all, that's why it's so charming. I also like the realistic... skeletons, ravens, pumpkins and tombstones. One of my prized possessions is a paper weight with a black and white photo of a tombstone of the Fox Sisters in Salem, Massachusetts. Amazing. But I want to take the opportunity to share my love of (creepy) taxidermy. OOOH, look at Royal Tennenbaum in the picture below, now that's taxidermy! If you can stomach it, I suggest you get some in your home. It brings nature in and is a daily reminder of our own mortality.
This is an amazing room and I love the shot. A little Goth, a little traditional and a lot of unique crammed into one room. The charcoal wall is a fantastic backdrop to all the animals and antique pieces. The tufted leather sofa also cinches it for me.