Thursday, October 13, 2011

Courage my friend...

In this hyper everything world we are living in, there is a very nondescript but essential word in our professional vocabularies...NETWORKING. Don't be afraid, meeting new people and introducing yourself to complete strangers is not as frightening as one may think, on the contrary. It's really quite thrilling, empowering and satisfying. I spent hours doing it yesterday and I promise you, I'm a better person for it today. I've said this over and over to friends and family (and especially my teenage twins) it's "who you know" that will help you succeed in this world. Every cool job I had in college was because I knew somebody that got me in. Any fabulous and exclusive record (complete with rock stars) party I ever attended was because of who I knew. My first client for Zoe was a wonderful woman, Laura Binning (take a bow) and we happened to meet at a job that I hated and she inspired me to get out on my own. Again, it was who I knew. She in turn introduced me to many more new clients, including her husband, Tim (take a bow, too) who is the Broker/Owner of several successful ReMax offices. Well, you know he threw me all kinds of gigs with his real estate contacts. When we recently moved to Bloomington, our friend Jeff Franklin (another amazing realtor with Tucker) personally called the agent for this property and gave my husband and I a glorious recomendation. Again...it's who you know. I don't mean for this to sound like we're using people just so we can obtain the desired results but that's exactly what it is but with a gentler hand. I actually LIKE all the people I network with. It's nothing more than friends doing favors for friends. God, I really sound like I'm living on my own little glitter and rainbow stage but it's how I really feel. Try to take that attitude when you're networking. Don't look at it as a task or a chore or one more thing to cross off your list. Think of it as widening your big ass circle of friends and acquaintances.

2 comments:

  1. Well said lisa. A lot of who we are is who we know. I get by with a little help from my friends :) ....wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Grandma always used to say, "Birds of a feather flock together", so simple and so true.

    ReplyDelete